November 10, 2012

Breeders' Cup Post Thoughts

This post is six days delayed but better late than never right? Overall I think it was a great edition of the Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita Park. There were no major injuries, one mare was pulled up because of tying up at the start of the race, and I believe one other did not finish the race but both were fine after. That in itself = major success after recent years.

Breeders' Cup Distaff - Ok so the 'Ladies Classic' - I'll forever call it the Distaff because that's what I grew up know it as. 4-5 years later I still think the name change was well, retarded (for lack of a better term). Anyways... Royal Delta, who won the 2011 race as well, proved she was yet again the best and won in her classy fashion. I really hope they keep this mare running in 2013 as a 5 year old. Also have to give credit to her new owner, Leon, for keeping her with Bill Mott for her training.

Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf - Two year old, George Vancouver won the race pulling away from the field. Now, George Vancouver is owned by Coolmore / Ashford / the million other names they go by when racing. Therefore, I didn't even look at him before the race since I historically despise them as owners. My KY Bestie texted me later in the day telling me he is a 1/2 brother to Saarland! George Vancouver is then in a distant way, Echo's uncle :) 

Breeders' Cup Juvenile - Kudos to those who didn't throw a sissy fit and refused to run their two year old's because of Lasix. Yes Mike Repole I mean you. No worries you weren't missed. Rant aside, I'm pleased Shanghai Bobby won! Mostly due to the Lasix factor again. It proves US horses CAN and WILL win without the use of Lasix. North America is one of last areas that even use it and American's can't seem to get it in their mind that our horses do not need it.... I could go on for days, but I'll spare everyone the pain of reading that.

Breeders' Cup Mile - Wise Dan was brilliant in the mile! He has my non counting vote for Horse of the Year.

Breeders' Cup Classic - There wasn't one horse in particular that stood out to me in this race. I like To Honor and to Serve, Mucho Macho Man and a few others here and there. But after For Larned's performance I'm pretty sure I'm going to become a groupie of his. Plus it was great to see a grandson of Bayakoa carrying the same colors she did and in the winners circle.

Now it's time to switch modes to Eclipse Awards talk and start dreaming of a Triple Crown winner in the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment