October 31, 2012

Plastic Bags Aren't Spooky

After a recent lunging session with Dakota. I realized how not spooky he is and how tolerant he is of so much I throw his way. This isn't something I want to take for granted or just assume every horse isn't spooky. I've been with Dakota for so long that I know how he's going to react before it happens and I want to make sure I can get Echo to that point in her training too. With that, I've made a list of things I need to desensitize her to. I'll start them all inside, leading to desensitizing her to them outside. In the spirit of my least favorite holiday, Halloween, being today here's a list of things to make not spooky to Echo.
  • Tarp - Walking on and letting it touch her body
  • Plastic Bags
  • Giant training balls
  • Umbrella
  • Bag of pop cans
  • Different sounds - cell phone, bell, etc
I'm sure the list will grow, but it gives me a good place to start!


For those wondering why I despise Halloween - I hate the feeling of being scared. Hate. I hate the dark, things with mask freak me out. Ghost freak me out. Things jumping out at you. Skeletons, I hate death. Candy makes you gain weight. Creepy nightmare causing movies. I can't find any good points of the holiday so it's my time to be a scrooge. While everyone is enjoying the Halloween party at the barn I'll probably be sitting in the barn hiding behind one of my horses!

1 comment: