February 20, 2014

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

This might be the hardest post I've had to write to date and second hardest to reread, only second to Lyssette's goodbye post to Carlos. 

I planned to write about different horse toys to help cure Echo's boredom and to give her something to take out life's frustrations on. However a call yesterday at about 3:50 changed that. I was at work with my cell phone on silent. I happened to glance at it and saw a missed call from my barn owner when simultaneously my work phone started ringing. My heart sank and I knew it wasn't just an ordinary call. 

All I hear is Echo has cut herself and is bleeding perfusely, do I have your permission to call the vet. Of course I agree and learn it's her hoof that's injured. I tell her I'm on my way and tell, not ask, my supervisor I have to leave and on my way to the barn I went. 

Get to barn, she was in wash stall. They had her nearly wrapped and done so I never saw the injury unwrapped. Of course when Echo saw me she snapped out of her sedation and started acting up. My vet got some duct tape on the bottom to help water proof her hoof, but its not too pretty - at least its effective for now. 

She essentially cut straight through from the inside of her hoof to the back of her heal. She's been given a 4-5 day antibiotic shot to help prevent infection. Her hoof wrapped:


Picture my vet took of the hoof before being wrapped. I'm not inserting the photo for those that don't want to see it. The hoof is cleaned at this point and not a lot of blood, but its there. Better visual of what happened. LINK TO PHOTO.

2 grams of bute last night, 1 this morning. The plan going forward is to apply a hoof cast some time today or first thing tomorrow morning. She's on stall rest for foreseeable future. I'm assuming, mostly because we haven't gotten to that point, that the first thing we need to accomplish after cast being put on is her bearing some weight on the leg. Lots of risk to over come including infection and her mental state of being stalled. She's angry, and I mean angry over the hoof being wrapped, she keeps kicking trying to get it off. 

Her long term prognosis is unknown but there's a solid chance of her not being riding sound. There's been a lot of soft tissue damage and no knowing yet what could of been sliced in there. It's least of my worries at this point and just want her healthy again. 

I will post updates as they come. 

10 comments:

  1. Hopefully with some pain medication and maybe a light cocktail, she'll be comfortable to bear weight on the hoof and tolerate the stall rest.

    I'm sorry that this happened to her -- sounds like a complete freak accident. Stay positive and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for being there for me this week, you're the best!

      Delete
  3. Oh no! Sorry to hear that this happened. Sending healing thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry that happened! I've seen laser therapy help a lot with similar injuries. Vets can be on the fence about it, but we've had very good results (our vet approves of it). It really promotes healing and growth. I don't know how you feel about it, but it is something worth looking into if you are interested. The problem is finding someone who really knows what they're doing. It will take some research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely have to read into it and take a look, thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Eep, I've no idea how I missed this!
    *bighug*

    ReplyDelete