August 22, 2013

No You're Not Houdini

Sigh. Mares. I'm learning they really are more brilliant than the dead head geldings and I'm trying to decide if this is a good thing or not. 

Last night, grooming Echo, in the cross ties with the non velcro safety release. Same cross ties Mareface has broken out of twice before. I figure I'm a step ahead of her and keep a leadrope on her in case she start's to pull her escape routine.

Well Mareface has learned to slightly turn her head one direction and lower her head. This equals freedom. 

I caught her by her field being an idiot there, brought her back to the barn where we had a discussion about not threatening to rear while being lead. I decided she had way too much energy and threw her rear in round pen and did some join-up work with her and can say she honestly stopped for the first time when I turned my back to her. Big progress!

1 comment:

  1. Aw the joys of working with mares - quirky & opinionated, but great news that you're making progress!
    Congrats on the job (sorry I'm slow catching up!), hope balancing it all works it - I've found once you get a routine/schedule in place it all becomes easier to maintain!
    If there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask. Although I know this offer is very limited what with my living on another continent! *blush*
    Really wish I was closer!

    ReplyDelete