December 31, 2013

Goodbye 2013

2013 had it's ups. But a hole heck of downs. Lets recap why I'll take a drink at midnight to say F you 2013 and welcome in 2014. 

January - Way to start out the year January. January 13th I fall in the shower and later that week after giving into going to the doctor I learn my wrist is broken. I never got put in a full cast since the bone that was fractured didn't impair my mobility and after two weeks or so of wrapping, icing and pain killers I was able to begin lightly using my hand as normal. I get bronchitis and double ear infectons. After missing work from the amount of pain killers I was on, a week of terrible weather and some other things, I loose my job working in the dean's office at the college. Looking back it was best thing that could of happened all around, just bad timing. Simultaneously I drop all my classes for the semester because in the first few weeks I'm already too far behind to make the semester count. 

February - On the 8th I rode Echo for the first time! Pretty much the highlight of the month. I put two more rides on her in the month. Nothing super exciting because my wrist was still regaining strength and it was cold! The 27th my grandpa had his heart attack. 

March - One of the roughest emotional months I've ever gone through. After a stint and pacemaker being put into his heart my grandpa got to go home. After more incidents of gulbladder (worlds most evil organ) attacks and infections I make the move into my grandparents house. Not everyone is as close to their grandparents as I am and always have been. My mom makes the drive from North Carolina for her school's spring break to visit and see my grandpa due to his health. If I had not lost my job I would of never been able to stay with them and provide the help I was able to. 

April - Lots of doctor appointment visits and drives for my both of the grandparents. My grandma is convinced that I need to just move in with them permanently. I go to my first Red Wings hockey game in Detroit - it was amazing! I get bronchitis a second time mid month. Around the same time I start exploring moving to South Florida for a job offer. After six weeks of waiting to accept, I say screw it and am offered my old job in Lexington.

May - After many tearful goodbyes to my grandparents, dad and other family, friends and my horses I pack my car and leave for Lexington on the 8th. On the 13th I walk back into Equibase after being gone since December of 2010. Working there again is rough at first because everything comes back fast but things had changed and putting it all together was a rough period of time. Start apartment searching but have no luck at first. I go to the USHJA International Derby finals which is a complete blast at KHP - forgot how much I love that place. End of the month is marred by my friend Lyssette loosing her horse Carlos :(

June - On the 9th my ponies finally arrive to Kentucky after a 20 hour trailer ride. I used my special access powers to Churchill Downs and my friends and I had a fun tour of the roof of Churchill Downs. Echo's uterine infection returns and the vet lays out a course of treatment including lots of flushes. We have to go through two rounds of flushing for her to get all nice and clean. End of month is my birthday - and just go for a nice dinner with friends. 

July - I finally get moved into my new apartment. I drove up to Michigan and my dad and I loaded a U-Haul and took off the next morning to Kentucky. My cat's were thrilled to see me and Holly co-piloted her way back to Lexington. My work schedule is non-existent. By end of the month I pretty much have to demand a set schedule with set days off. I need routine. Normal fun things in the month of July - my favorite holiday, the Junior League skedaddle bred show (Saddlebred's), and Fasig Tipton sales. Despite lot's of bad horse racing news, crappy hot weather and a few things here and there, July was one of the better months of the year!

August - Month starts out by me having to separate the two horses. Echo and Dakota were unbearable to be around in the barn if they couldn't see each other. Dakota gets booted out with the geldings. Echo learns how to break out of the cross ties / wash stall in the barn and repeats many times. August 12th I attempt a second job working an additional 20 hours a week at the grocery store. I start classes at Midway College and take 12 credit hours worth of classes. So busy I rarely see my horses. I go full time at Equibase. The girl I couldn't stand walked out and finally quit. Dakota starts showing signs of lameness.

September - Ok so the part time job didn't last long. After not really seeing the horses and going full time I quit the part time job after 2-3 weeks and let Labor Day weekend be the end of that. Dakota has become more and more visibly lame and wheels start spinning on what to do with him. September also marks a year since I've owned Echo. 

October - Month of Breeders' Cup preparations. Fun. Makes work even more fun - and hellish. Echo left for operation boot camp in Texas with my friend Amanda. 

November & December - No major changes except Echo being naughty in Texas. Mom and Grandparents visit me in November for Thanksgiving and Dad comes for Christmas. Work is the usual. Lots to do, never enough time. Missing Echo & hoping to see her sometime in early 2014!

1 comment:

  1. Good bye 2013, don't let the door hit you on the way out!